Monday, December 22, 2014

Hemsworth Takes to the Open Ocean In the Second Trailer for 'In The Heart Of The Sea'



I know that RDJ is everyone's favorite Avenger, and truly the comeback kid of the group but it's really starting to look like Chris Hemsworth will be the superstar career to come out of the Marvel epics. His latest film, In the Heart of the Sea has him taking the lead role in a book adaptation that explorers the true story that inspired Moby Dick. Hemsworth has everything a major Hollywood player needs and has proven time and again that he is much more than a pretty face and the son of Odin. Now, working with Ron Howard, he's set to really launch his career outside of Marvel. 

Jaws never scared me. I mean, if I was in the water and say a shark I'd definitely need a new pair of underwear but the idea of a shark? Nah, wasn't keeping me up at night. While not a horror movie, this trailer had me terrified. Obviously there's the fear of a colossal creature under the water while you're in a tiny (comparatively) ship in the middle of the ocean, but that's not what really got me shaking. It's the genius that is Ron Howard who decides to pull the camera WAYYY back in the long shots. That's the real fear factor in sea based movies that's never really hammered home, just how impossibly alone you are. The first few shots of the trailer pull back a curtain and make very apparent that these early seafarers were basically the ballsiest bunch the world has ever known, heading out into a vast nothingness with little more than a few planks of wood. Maybe this has been obvious to everyone else but I never fully appreciated the scope of it until watching this. I tend to overblow things but check it out for yourselves and tell me you'd have the gusto to scream "All aboard!" and head out to sea. 

Side note: These guys are whalers...back then that meant killing a whale with a spear that you through from nothing more than the power of your arm. Marinate on that. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment