Friday, January 8, 2010

The List! 1/8/10

Damn two weeks flies by. Believe it or not I saw not one stinkin' movie all this week thanks to the non-existent releases last week. I could've wasted my time with Alvin & the Chipmunks or Did You Hear About the Morgans but I figured there are less painful ways to torture myself, like laying on a bed of needles or kneeling on grains of rice for hours on end.



January means it's time for all the action flicks that would get trounced if they were released during the summer to get their chance to shine. Such is the case with Daybreakers, a very cool looking vampire flick where we poor humans are an endangered species, housed and used like cattle. The problem? With so humans left, blood is running out and vampire extinction a very real possibility. I don't know much about the Spierig Brothers who directed this film, but I'm digging the Underworld/Minority Report style it was shot in and the premise is unique if nothing else. Plus I'll take any opportunity to see Willem Defoe wielding a crossbow.


I know people have been saying that Michael Cera needs to play somebody other than himself for once, but I had no idea he's take it to heart quite like this. Here he plays his typical shy, demure, introverted character who creates a badboy alter-ego in order to win over his hot neighbor. Then the alter-ego sorta takes over and turns him into a wanted criminal. I'm getting a True Romance mixed with Juno vibe off of this one, helped out by a phenomenal supporting cast including Steve Buscemi, Jean Smart, and Ray Liotta.



Jeff Bridges is finally getting the Oscar buzz he's deserved for year as a down 'n out, failing country singer with an alcohol problem. Sounds like a country song all it's own, doesn't it? Only thing it needs is a few bad marriages to awful ex-wives. Oh wait, it's got that too. Expect plenty of heavy moments mixed with Bridges dry sense of humor. If you saw the commerical and thought you caught a glimpse of Colin Farrell, you weren't going crazy. He's here as well, and I'm curious to hear how he's going to hide that thick accent.



After waiting nearly three weeks for this to finally hit DC it's now here, and I find myself a little lukewarm to the idea of watching it. As most know, this was the final film by actor Heath Ledger, who died during the film's production. Director Terry Giliam tweaked the script allowing numerous other actors(Johnny Depp, Colin Farrell, Jude Law) to play Ledger's character. That's not the problem for me. The problem is that I can't for the life of me describe what the hell this film is about. I know it involves an immortal guy, and a travelling circus. Gilliam knows how to create fantastical dreamlike worlds on screen, probably better than anybody, but I have a fear that this one is all style and no plot. Anybody see the movie Mirrormask from a few years ago? That's the vibe I'm getting.

No...a thousand times no...!!



Just look at it up there. See it? That boring poster? It's Leap Year, and the English custom is that women can propose marriage to dudes on Leap Day. Another film where women are marriage obsesses harpies who'll lower themselves to any level for that little ring on her finger? Yes. Yes it is. Another bland rom-com with the fish out of water socialite thrust into blue-collar world she isn't prepared for? Yes. I bet she falls into some mud. This thing looks like death warmed over, and women should be offended at constantly being portrayed in such a way. But if you like this sorta thing, Sweet Home Alabama-type nonsense, this one's for you. I'll be over here where the sane people hang out.


0 comments:

Post a Comment