Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Veronica Mars Movie Still a Go?


Remember when Veronica Mars had all that cool, hip indie buzz? Me too. Where'd all that go? The show, which starred Kristen Bell as a teenage sleuth who solved myseries involving her rich, well-to-do cohorts ran for three season before ultimately being cancelled in 2007. Ever since, show creator Rob Thomas has been angling for an avenue to continue the series. At one point the show was to live on in comic book form, but the prevailing plan has been for a big screen film to eventually continue Mars' adventures.

Bell has been on board with the idea from jumpstreet, and I find it hard to imagine that the rest of the cast wouldn't be in tow. However, nothing ever seemed to develop. Thomas was asked about any updates on the film's status, and he doesn't sound so enthusiastic...

“I would write it if anyone would finance it. If anyone’s interested in making that movie I am available, Kristen’s available. I would love to do it. I think the closest we came was Joel [Silver] pushing it at Warner Bros. and they didn’t bite. It has sort of gone away.”

It's looking more and more like Veronica Mars has solved her last case. Too bad. I was a big fan of the show the first two seasons. It had a ton of potential for growth, and obviously Bell has gone on to movie stardom. I never felt like there was any real chance a big screen film was going to happen, considering the show's puny ratings, but I would've been all for it had it ever come to pass. It's probably time to put those hopes to rest. Looks like I'll have to continue getting my Tina Majorino fix from HBO's Big Love.

You can read more of Futon Critics's story on this right here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment