Thursday, March 17, 2011

Darren Aronofsky no longer directing The Wolverine




If it feels like I've been writing about superheroes all day it's because I have been, but this is too big of a story to let slide. THR is reporting that Oscar nominated director, Darren Aronofsky, has backed out of directing the X-men spinoff, The Wolverine. Aronofsky had been tapped to reteam with Hugh Jackman(The Fountain) on the superhero sequel, taking the X-men's clawed Canadian to Japan. In fact, the location has turned out to be part of the problem. Aronofsky says...

"As I talked more about the film with my collaborators at Fox, who have been totally supportive throughout my work on the movie, it became clear that the production of The Wolverine would keep me out of the country for almost a year. I was not comfortable being away from my family for that length of time. I am sad that I won’t be able to see the project through, as it is a terrific script and I was very much looking forward to working with my friend, Hugh Jackman, again."

The Wolverine was a much sought after directing gig, with numerous names having lobbied for the job. I wonder what David Slade(Hard Candy) thinks of this. He was probably the strongest contender, but he just signed on to direct Daredevil. If only he'd waited one more day!

Fox has already issued a statement on the matter...

"While we are of course disappointed that Darren can’t do The Wolverine, we also understand and respect his reasons. Having done both The Wrestler and Black Swan with Darren, we know he is an extraordinary talent and we look forward to working with him on other projects in the future. Hugh Jackman and Fox both remain fully committed to making The Wolverine. We will regroup and move forward aggressively."

So now who do you think will take over? The Wolverine seemed like one comic book story tailor made for Aronofsky's style and sensibilities. Does all that change now? Any chance Fox let's Slade jump from one comic book property to this one?

0 comments:

Post a Comment