Thursday, March 10, 2011

Neil Gaiman scripting adaptation of Chinese novel, Journey to the West

There are few authors that can pull me away from my superhero comics, but Neil Gaiman is one. The writer of my favorite book, Neverwhere, has a gift for spinning stories that are like their own little legends. He's seen a number of his works adapted for the big screen, including Stardust and most recently Coraline. Now he's going to get a chance to adapt one of the greatest folk tales in Chinese history.

Variety reports that Gaiman will be writing one of the four great Chinese novels, Journey to the West. James Cameron will be around as script and technical advisor. He's the on set tech support.

The book tells the fictionalized tale of Buddhist monk Xuanzang's pilgrimage to
India along with his three protectors.

The plan is to make this just the start of a huge production, with financing coming from both the US and China. Three big $100M films, each in 3D.

I'm wiping the drool off my IPAD now.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

0 comments:

Post a Comment