Sunday, November 18, 2012

Does Colin Trevorrow already have the 'Star Wars' directing job?


Many who have been hoping for a big name to take on the Star Wars: Episode VII directing gig have been underplaying the chance that Colin Trevorrow(Safety Not Guaranteed) may be an actual frontrunner. Since his name first cropped up I've had him pegged as the logical choice, due to the sci-fi/romance nature of his debut and the reports he had already met with George Lucas at some point. But beyond that, his most recent comments were forward-thinking enough that it was clear he had spent a lot of mental energy considering what direction the trilogy should go in.

This latest story will add more fuel to the fire, as a quote from last summer has emerged where Trevorrow talks about a future project with a much-loved "mythology" that fans may get up in arms about. That sounds like Star Wars to me, but here's the quote so you can judge for yourself....

Trevorrow: "I can’t speak with any specificity as to what the next thing will be. There are amazing opportunities that have arisen as a result of this. One of them, I will say, will probably create a good deal of ire against me on the Internet when people find out what it is. So, I just want to say in advance that I promise you, for all those who love the mythology that I will be tackling, trust that I love it as much as you do. And I will respect it, and hopefully make it not suck."

Assuming he is talking about Star Wars, this would mean he's been attached for a long time and this thing is further along than we thought. It also contradicts producer Frank Marshall(LucasFilm president Kathleen Kennedy's husband) who said that the shortlist was down to a couple of candidates.

I'm expecting an announcement will come probably within a few days. Maybe around Thanksgiving when folks are too full and sleepy to complain.  [FilmSchoolRejects]


0 comments:

Post a Comment