Thursday, November 13, 2008

Twilight Overload

Am I the only one getting sick of all the hype around the movie Twilight? Entertainment Weekly has an entire series of articles surrounding it. MTV has the TV spot up everwhere. I'm sure if I ever bothered to tune to the CW it's probably on there, too. Maybe this is showing my old age, but to me it looks like yet another trendy teen angst flick that will underwhelm.

What sucks is that I actually really want to see it. I'm a sucker for anything vampire related. I'm the only guy I know who is a devoted follower of all things Buffy; I watch True Blood; have read some Anne Rice novels. I even liked both Underworld movies. And I'm a fan of anything with Kristen Stewart AND Nikki Reed. But they are really turnin' me off with their marketing campaign. Making this out to be this generation's Romeo & Juliet isn't going to make me come to the theater any faster.




6 comments:

  1. I hate vampires with a passion, and I sort of want to see it. But it looks SO CWish, I doubt I'll be able to bring myself to go.

    Ideally, this is the sort of movie you let one of your female friends "drag" you to, but a survey I took revealed that no one I know has any interest in seeing it. So it looks like it's just going in the old Netflix queue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I just got the thumbs up from Rebecca that she wants to see it. "It doesn't look too scary", she says. So I guess when it rolls around I'll get to say on the podcast that yes, I was dragged to see Twilight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Twilight looks like a weird movie. I dont know why this movie is getting alot of hype. It kind of reminds me of that Sam Jackson movie "Snakes on a Plane". That movie had alot of hype around its release and it barely made any money at the box office. Twilight could end up the same or it could be different. Time will tell.

    p.s cool blog, keep up the great work

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the compliment, farzan. We hope you'll keep coming back.

    Y'know what Twilight is starting to look like to me? The Covenant. Another teen oriented movie about vampires or witches or whatever with a sappy love story squished in the middle. I hope it's better than that, and it should be with Catherine Hardwick directing, but the TV spots don't do it any justice whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be very curious to hear your opinion of Twilight. So far, even though the film isn't out yet, there seems to be two minds of it: 1. Teen girls will love it and 2. Everyone else won't. I think there is room for more than that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's absolutely room for more than that, but the TV spots and the marketing give the appearance that there won't be. I think I have a fear that it'll be too much Romeo & Juliet. I think True Blood gets the mix just right.

    ReplyDelete