-Deadpool is indeed Weapon XI. He'd be the scarred looking figure displaying multiple powers in the TV spots and trailers. After a battle with both Wolverine and Sabretooth, a decapitated Deadpool is sent down a nuke reactor, where he is rescued by a Stryker scientist. He will then be "rebuilt" in the Weapon X workshop, leading into the new film to be released sometime in 2011.
I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that this film never gets made. That is my bold prediction, based off the fact that:
1. Watchmen's perceived poor performance is going to reflect poorly on Wolverine, causing the film to do less business than it would have initially. I think people are starting to tire of superhero films, and only the big name characters are going to be getting major film projects for awhile.
2. Deadpool is a relatively obscure character. Yes, he's my favorite comic book character, but he's an unknown quantity to most folks. And, again, with Watchmen doing not doing the expected dollars it's going to be awhile before anybody takes a real chance on smaller name heroes.
3. X-men Origins: Wolverine is NOT going to portray Deadpool well, and thus he will not be the breakout character they hope him to be. Ryan Reynolds himself sounds skeptical about what's been done to Deadpool in the film. He says:
“That, I would say, is Deadpool, yeah… When I’m in the scarred makeup too, and you’ll see closer shots obviously in the film, and it’s hard to even tell that’s me, but you can tell. You’ve just got to find a better shot.”
The images we've seen of Deadpool in the film and the action figure, with his violet pants and adamantium claws are not who Deadpool is. I'm not saying they have to be 100% faithful to the comic book version, but it is that version that has made Deadpool such a fan favorite, so why fuck with the formula?





I agree, messing with the Deadpool formula is dumb, and unneccesary. They could just as easily have made another mutant alltogether instead of turning him into some hybrid supermutant that resembles none of what made the original so popular. Even more unfortunate is that while this character may look super cool he will probably lack substance and will go the way of Darth Maul. Also...how are they going to do their Deadpool spinoff with this? The only thing I disagree with is the impact that Watchmen will have on the genre...I personally think that the studios know that Watchmen had a very slim chance of being a smash hit given that the graphic novel audience is .0005% of total. Then again, I may be given Hollywood suits too much credit
ReplyDeleteive seen the wolverine movie already and was wondering how there was going to be a spin off of a dead, decapitated character?..the way they portray deadpool in the movie is not true to the books at all..he looks like mortal kombats Baraka...plus he only got about 7 minutes of screen time...a deadpool movie would be awesome but i doubt it will happen.
ReplyDelete