Monday, September 21, 2009

The Kung-Fu/Karate Kid


Well....after hearing the rumors it looks like the remake of 'The Karate Kid' is actually going to happen and has allready begun shooting. To be completely honest I'm not as against this as most people probably are. I've liked most of the films featuring this scenario including the first three Karate Kid movies and even 'Sidekicks' with the unstoppable Chuck Norris. That being said I do worry about Jaden Smith, the kid is hit or miss for me, I liked him in 'The Pursuit of Happiness' but that's about it, at the end of the day he is Will Smith's blood so I have no doubt that he'll probably pull it off. The thing I really like is the casting of Jackie Chan. He is perfect for the role of mentor, tough and a master of Kung Fu but at the same time somewhat silly and easy going. I like Chan, always have, and probably always will. I'm going to hope this movie goes well and we get a quality product out of it, after all not every remake/reimagining has to suck....does it? Below are some still from the set, I do like that it appears they are going for real martial arts training and I LOVE seeing Chan at work, that and Smith doesn't look completely out of place which is encouraging. Thanks to /Film for the poster and Hey U Guys Blog for the set pics!


5 comments:

  1. Maybe it's me, but I hate everything about this movie. From the casting of Jaden to the casting of Jackie Chan. I have a feeling this thing will completely miss the spirit of the original Karate Kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I def see where you guys are coming from, but it just seems like we make judgements toward remakes based on the generalization that they all suck. Just as we all thought GI Joe would be horrible because most cartoon/comic->Movie adapts are. I'm not saying this will be as good as the original, I'm just thinking that it will suprise us and be enjoyable. Though I am very biased when it comes to martial arts flicks so I'm sure that factors in somewhere haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I to0 am very biased when it comes to martial arts films.. I love em, got hundreds and some more hundreds of them. But everythime I lo0k back at the karate kid, I realise that (apart from it being truly naff) I never really liked it as a kid and it's just plain rubbish now by any martial arts film standards.. check out 'sakura killers' :D
    I'm the same with Jaden smith, he can be incredibly slappable for a kid, and i'm a big willy fan haha but if he does a half decent job, and you include my hero Jackie there, then it's got to be better than all 3 Karate Kid films combined... He couldnt even sweep a leg!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The original Karate Kids were never really about martial arts, anyway. Looking at them like kung fun flicks is the wrong idea. They were the token 80's coming of age flick with martial arts bolted on to it. It's 'Lucas' with crane kicks. They just decided not to use the usual sports to be the lens for the story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suppose that was the problem for me, when it was released for rent I wasn't what you'd class as 'coming of age' yet.. I wanted Indiana Jones, Ghostbusting, and people having fights with guns and fists.. then I'd run outside and dig punji traps in my back garden.

    I Haven't changed at all.

    ReplyDelete