Initially due to be released last December, it got caught up in the whole Miramax restructuring deal, and was pushed back indefinitely. Now that transfer of control from Disney to the new owners is complete, it's time to start getting some flicks back in front of people's faces. Thanks to a distribution deal struck between Miramax, Focus Features, and Universal Pictures International, The Debt will now be released worldwide. Focus release the film on August 31st, right at the tail end of the summer, generally a soft weekend in terms of competition. Universal will handle the international release separately.
I think this is the best possible outcome for a flick I was getting worried we'd never get a chance to see. Now there's a good chance it'll have a chance to stand on it's own and secure an audience. As far as I can tell there aren't any other major releases coming out that week. Check out the trailer for The Debt below!





I saw the film last night in Nice, France at Cinema Mercury (in English, with french subtitles). Having never heard of the film, we had no preconceived ideas or expectations of it.
ReplyDeleteGood story, good pace, very good cast and performances. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Some visual confusion (for me) in the male characters in the roles of the young men vs themselves +30 years older: the older Stephan resembled the older David; the older David resembled the young Stephan.