Sometimes I really hate trailers, though I know what I should really hate is my vulnerability to be persuaded by them. World War Z is based on a book that pop culture fully embraced as a totally original telling of a Zombie apocalypse story. The book took place after the initial outbreak and containment, following several stories of what happens after the dust settles. As with any movie adaptation of a book with a rabid fanbase, World War Z was destined to recieve unjust hate and hyper criticism. After the first trailer I wasn't too sure that hate would be unjust, why take a unique idea in name alone and produce a film that is exactly the same as 100's of other zombie flicks but with a bigger budget. I get that hate, but wasn't surprised as the book never seemed easily adaptable. A direct adaptation would be, for lack of a better term, boring. So that was always out the window in my mind, then the first trailer hits and I see Brad Pitt trying to survive the initial outbreak while keeping his family safe. Small scope localized survival is what we've always seen in z-flicks, so does the second trailer change any of that?
In short, yes. A million times over yes. Sure Pitt is still trying to protect his family...it would be weird if he didn't. The thing that changed my mind is that we get to see this apocalypse through the vantage point of the world governments. To my knowledge we NEVER see this, sure it's alluded to but always in a "Don't go to Ft. Bragg, it's been overrun" or "No one's heard from Washington in months". This trailer makes me think World War Z IS going to do something original and new to the genre and show the apocalypse on a true global scope with a level of realism we haven't seen. No longer Dawn of the Dead in a much bigger mall, Z seems to be more like Contagion with Zombies. I dig it, see if you do as well in the trailer below and let us know your thoughts!






0 comments:
Post a Comment