Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Who's Gonna be Under the Spider-Man Mask?


Chances are whoever nails down the role of Spider-Man in Marc Webb's upcoming relaunch of the wallcrawler franchise is gonna be set for a long time. It catapulted Tobey Maguire to superstardom and will likely do the same again. I remember thinking that Maguire was a terrible choice at the time, but he flipped my mind around pretty damn quick.  We've heard a couple of the names that Sony and Webb were considering for the role, but THR has pulled together the definitive list. Some of the names are pretty cool. Some are so wacky I wonder if Mysterio planted 'em.

Andrew Garfield
Possibly my favorite choice, Garfield won me over with his charismatic performance in murky crime drama Red Riding earlier this year. He's pretty old at nearly 28, but he doesn't look it. Based on his turn in Lions for Lambs, I can see him playing an altruistic nerdy student just fine.

Jamie Bell
Yeah, that's Billy Elliot all grown up. Perhaps too grown up. While I think Bell has grown into a fine actor, I think he's a little too rugged to play the geeky Peter Parker. Everytime I see him I think of him in films like Defiance and Jumper. Doesn't seem to fit.

Josh Hutcherson
The odds on favorite in my opinion. Hutcherson has the youth and the look to play a student like Peter Parker, and he's got the film cred thanks to major roles in Bridge to Tarabithia and Journey to the Center of the Earth. My only worry is that he often lacks screen presence. Just look at the way he drifted into the background in a movie like Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant. Then again as bad as that film was he might've been intentionally staying out of the spotlight.

Alden Ehrenreich
Most people couldn't pick his face out of a police line-up, and they probably think his name sounds like somebody who got shot down in Memphis Belle. But he was a scene stealer opposite Vincent Gallo in Francis Ford Coppolla's Tetro last year, and he's got the face for the part. I just wonder if Sony might want a bigger name attached.

Frank Dillane
If he looks at all familar it's because he played the young Tom Riddle in last year's Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Kindof an odd choice, and I'm hesitate to judge because that was such a showy, evil role. I haven't seen his other film, Welcome to Sarajevo, but right now he feels like the longest shot for the part.

An odd assortment of actors no doubt. My favorites are Garfield and Hutcherson, but what do you guys think? Let us know!

0 comments:

Post a Comment