Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Seriously? Robert Rodriguez Offered Deadpool!

I sat on this story yesterday on purpose because I was hoping we'd see an official contract signing today, but since the only thing I got was more confirmations of the rumor I'll just roll with it. It's being reported by The Playlist and Production Weekly that Robert Rodriguez(Sin City) has been made an offer by 20th Century Fox to direct Deadpool. This would be a match made in Heaven as far as I'm concerned, with Rodriguez's crazy frenetic style mixing with the off-kilter Merc with a Mouth.  Bear in mind that this is just an offer, with little to no indication that he'll actually sign.

Then again, would Fox even make the offer without some idea that he'd be interested? They've been working with his Troublemakers Studios for awhile now, and all seems to be going just fine. The question I have is the one I always have when it comes to Rodriguez: Will he ever get around to it???  He's got Spy Kids 4 on the way, plus Nervewrackers, and he's even hinted at the possibility of Sin City 2 finally getting off the ground. His Mexican action flick, Machete, hits theaters in September and he also produced the Nimrod Antal directed Predators which is due out in just a few weeks. Busy dude.

Ryan Reynolds is set to reprise his role as the wacky mercenary from X-men Origins: Wolverine. The script was written by Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick, famous for last year's Zombieland.

Deadpool is my favorite Marvel character. Has been since his very first appearance(when he got his butt kicked and Fed Exed back to his employer), and my excitement for this film has been pretty darn clear. Adding Rodriguez only gets me more amped, but I have my doubts he'll actually do it. He doesn't seem all that interested in directing big studio projects right now, and Deadpool certainly falls in that category.

0 comments:

Post a Comment