Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Wind in the Willows in the works

More talking animals are about to hit the big screen, but at least this time it's in something I know to be good. Peter Jackson's special effects workshop is teaming up with RG Entertainment to produce a $30M big screen adaptation of Kenneth Grahame's classic novel, The Wind in the Willows.

Ray Griggs will direct, based on a script by Bill Marsilli(Lightspeed). Griggs is probably best known as the director of low budget superhero flick, Super Capers. I'll forgive him for that, since his upcoming political documentary, I Want Your Money looks pretty darn slick.

Originally published in 1908, Willows features four human-like animals(Ratty, Mole, Mr. Badger, Mr. Toad) who live in relatively calm and peace, except for their occasional encounters with humans. The story focuses mainly on their friendship, but mystical creatures and the odd adventure figure in as well. The Wind in the Willows has been adapted for the screen six times. 

The version I remember was the TV series, which I know ran for at least five years but maybe more, ending in 1990 I think. It used a stop motion style that I couldn't stand when I was younger, and since it bore such a close resemblance to Winnie the Pooh, I tended to watch that instead. Still, Willows is a classic and I'm betting that a well done big screen version could be a big hit with kids.

0 comments:

Post a Comment