Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Missile Command movie on the way

Well I didn't think they were serious about that! Believe it or not, the idea of a movie based on Atari's 1980 video game 'Missile Command', has been around for a little while. I'm pretty sure it was last February that they were pitching various potential flicks to studios, and Missile Command was a part of that. Did I actually think anybody would bite on it? Hell no. Apparently I was wrong.

20th Century Fox has snapped up the rights to the adaptation, with Burk Sharpless and Matt Sazama writing. No word on any potential directors at this point, but I think there'll be enough trouble hammering out a story for a game that has basically no plot whatsoever. What I remember about Missile Command(I was 3 years old when it came out but still played it on Atari 2600) was that you had to move a target over a bunch of missile that looked like jagged lines, and then firing your own jagged line at it to intercept. If you failed and the missiles hit the ground then...well, nuclear holocaust was soon to follow. The game was ported to higher end consoles years later, most recently on Xbox Live Arcade with updated graphics. It's actually kinda fun, but this movie idea sounds like terrible. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment