Friday, March 18, 2011

Isla Fisher's 'Desperados' may have a director in Betty Thomas




Maybe I missed it, but I haven't heard a thing about Desperados since last May. The film, which features a Black List script by Ellen Rapoport, was described as a "female version of The Hangover", with Isla Fisher(Rango) set for the lead role. Between then and now the project had a director in Wayne McClammy, who recently dropped out. Now it appears they've found another one who might be a better fit, as as THR reports Betty Thomas(Only You) is in talks for the job.

Not that I think Thomas is a very inspired choice, but she does have a few good credits(Private Parts ,The Late Shift the HBO series Dream On) to her name. She even produced the greatest teen party movie ever, Can't Hardly Wait. She last directed Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel. Ok, I take back every good thing I just said about her. I just find that women directors tend to do a better job on female-oriented movies than guys do. Her past work doesn't exactly scream "The Hangover" to me, but there's a first time for everything, right? While I'm at it, I'm getting pretty tired of every comedy being compared to The Hangover. I'll be happy when another successful R-rated flick comes along so it can become the new measuring stick.

Check out the plot for Desperados below, which really just sounds like a twist on the plot of Overnight Delivery.

Wesley Robbins, a 30-something single attorney with an unhealthy obsession with coupling up, thinks she’s found the perfect man. But when he doesn’t call for days after the first time they sleep together she freaks out and sends him a scathing email, only to learn he’s been laid up in a Mexican hospital with some broken bones. On a whim, she and her girlfriends travel down south to erase the email before she ruins what she believes could be her one true love.

0 comments:

Post a Comment