Thursday, March 10, 2011

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade: The Movie??

There's only one parade scene that matters to me, and no it doesn't have anything to do with Miracle on 34th Street or even Ferris Bueller. It's the parade murder scene in Student Bodies. Sorry, but anytime somebody can get killed in a turkey float by an eggplant it's going to get my vote.  Otherwise I don't see any reason to base an entire movie around a bunch of people dressed up as pilgrims and Uncle Sam. 

That's not stopping IAM Entertainment's Scott Glasgold and Raymond Brothers, who have courted Macy's about securing the famous department store's film rights. A number of potential storylines have been pitched, but here's what Glasgold told THR about what they're aiming for...

Glasgold: “We’re aiming to make a four-quadrant, family-friendly film somewhere in that Night At The Museum, Elf sweet spot."

So a middling family comedy about sentient parade floats being pulled by overgrown Keebler elves? I'm not sure I understand the concept. Maybe I'm missing something.

No writers or directors are in the running, but you can bet your ass this movie will happen, and I can already see Jason Segel or Ben Stiller being all over it. The above image is from Joel Venti, the Night at the Museum storyboard artist, commissioned to help sell the presentation. Obviously it worked.

Thanks to our friends at Bleeding Cool for the expanded image. You can check out Brendon Connelly's writing on this story by clicking right here. He's much more eloquent than I am!

0 comments:

Post a Comment