Monday, March 14, 2011

Trailer Time: Arcade Fire and Spike Jonze's Scenes From the Suburbs


Just before it's debut at the Berlin Film Festival, we got a look at the plot for Spike Jonze and Arcade Fire's short film, Scenes from The Suburbs. Basically it's a 28 minute film which tells the story of bored kids during a summer in which their town is on military lockdown.  Jonze is being the camera, with group frontman Win Butler writing the script along with his brother, William.  Here's how Arcade Fire presented the film at the festival...

“I wish I could remember every little moment. But I can’t. Why do I only remember the moments that I do. I wonder what happens to the others.” A group of suburban youths. Back then, in the summer, so long ago. They couldn’t leave town because outside the country was at war and the military controlled life and all gateways. The teenagers wander aimlessly about town. Winter is a long way off. And love and longing and friendship still mean – everything."

A trailer for the short has been released just ahead of it's appearance at SXSW. Check it out for yourself below...



If you've ever seen an Arcade Fire video, or even just the trailer for Where The Wild Things Are, then you're probably not surprised how this turned out. It's beautifully shot, as you'd expect, and the music combined with the imagery makes me think of the old kid adventure movies I'd watch. Makes sense, since Win Butler actually stated that was the tone they were going for. Heh, go figure.

If you're like me and won't be at SXSW, probably the best chance to see the film will be as part of the re-release of Arcade Fire's hit album, The Suburbs.

0 comments:

Post a Comment