Thursday, June 16, 2011

30 Day Film Challenge Day 25: Your Favorite Documentary Film

For years my favorite documentary has been Scratch, released in 2001 and covering the birth and progression of DJs in the world of hip hop. I went to a couple of the Scratch Live tour shows that popped up here in DC, and generally I considered it to be the best film about hip hop ever made. Period. That is until about a month ago when I got a chance to check out Michael Rapaport's amazing documentary, Beats Rhymes and Life: The Travels of A Tribe Called Quest.  I don't want to get too much into why this film is so great since my review will be up in a few weeks, but what I'll say is this: as a true die hard fan of real hip hop and a ATCQ devotee, this film had my emotions swinging in so many different directions. It's impossible not to get swept up in classic Tribe tracks that sent me back to the days of my youth, but then on the other side I was moved nearly to tears watching the group disintegrate. Along the way we're also treated to a thorough history of hip hop in the early 90s(the golden years, in my opinion), the rise of The Native Tongue, and the ascension of head nodding conscious rap. Look for this movie when it releases on July 8th. You will not be disappointed.



Follow the 30 Day Film Challenge on Facebook! Sorry for the delay on these lately, but computer problems have forced me to do some prioritizing. All should be resolved soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment