Thursday, August 8, 2013

Interview: 'The Spectacular Now' Screenwriters Michael Weber & Scott Neustadter


Those who have been following the site for awhile know that I've been talking up The Spectacular Now for months. Catching the premiere at Sundance earlier this year, it was instantly clear to me that I had just witnessed a truly special film, the type that a lot of people are going to fall in love with, just as I had fallen in love with it. Based on the novel by Tim Tharp and starring Shailene Woodley and Miles Teller, it's a teen romance free from cynicism and the artificiality that has plagued the genre for so long. In that way, it felt like a welcome callback to the great works of John Hughes.

Two of the men responsible for the heights The Spectacular Now achieves are screenwriters Michael H. Weber and Scott Neustadter, who also wrote my top film of 2009, (500) Days of Summer. So I was ecstatic to have a chance to talk to them both about their careers, their fondness for John Hughes movies, and why they love working with Woodley so much. Check out that interview below...


Listen to internet radio with Cinema Royale on BlogTalkRadio

0 comments:

Post a Comment