Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Jean Reno to join Tyler Perry in I, Alex Cross

Compare and contrast. On the one hand, there are few actors/filmmakers I can tolerate less than Tyler Perry. So when the cross dressing hack was tapped to take over the lead role in I, Alex Cross(a role formerly held by Morgan Freeman in Kiss the Girls) I was understandbly displeased. Even though the film has rounded up a pretty decent cast surrounding Perry, like Matthew Fox and Ed Burns, my hopes for it being any good remained thin.

And then comes this news straight from Variety that French legend(at least in my book) Jean Reno has signed on as well in an unspecified role.  I, Alex Cross is an earlier story in the career of the crime fighting psychologist, based partially on the 16th novel in James Patterson's acclaimed series. Fox will play the Butcher of Sligo, a brutal killer who murders for fun, killing Cross's wife in the process. Burns is featurd as Cross's partner, Tommy Kane. Rob Cohen(Stealth) is directing, based on a script by Kerry Williamson and Mark Moss.

Unlike Perry, Reno has been at the heart of a number of movies I truly love, most notably Leon and The Big Blue. So even though he drops a few turds in the punch bowl, like The Pink Panther, Just Visiting, and that dreadful Rollerball remake, I can simply overlook them. Plus he always brings his best to the table even if the material stinks. If there's a reason for me to care about I, Alex Cross this is it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment