Monday, May 9, 2011

Teaser Trailer: The Skin I Live In, directed by Pedro Almodovar

Has it been two years already since Almodovar's Broken Embraces? Wow, time flies. The Spanish auteur, who has spent the bulk of his career paying loving tribute to the beauty of women in a variety of different films is prepping his latest, The Skin I Live In, about a surgeon who specializes in the manipulation of their looks. Antonio Banderas, once a Almodovar regular but the two haven't worked together since 1990, stars as the doctor who goes to extreme lengths to create a skin to help save his wife's life. 

The story is based on Thierry Jonque's book, Tarantula, but judging by this brief teaser trailer the plot appears to have been altered somewhat. I'll admit, I had to watch this clip a few times in order to figure out how I felt about it. I know some others are calling it a creepy horror, but to me the whole thing looks a little campy. Or more accurately, it looks like a lot of Almodovar's films, heavily influenced by Spanish telenovellas. Very melodramatic, with a touch of overacting. That's what I see far more than any creep factor.  Still, count me in for this one. Almodovar very rarely disappoints. Check out the teaser trailer below...




The Skin I Live In will be premiering at Cannes, but is already set for a release sometime in November.

0 comments:

Post a Comment