Sunday, June 12, 2011

Mark Romanek turns down The Wolverine directing gig


Last month when we learned the eight finalists to replace Darren Aronofsky as director of The Wolverine, my clear  cut choice was  Mark Romanek. He might not be as big of a name as some of the others on the list, but he has a style reminiscent of Aronosfky's, and it would've been interesting to see what he might've brought to the clawed Canucklehead's adventure in Japan. Unfortunately it looks like I'm sh*t outta luck, because Romanek revealed to Digital Spy that he turned the job down. Poo.

Romanek: "That's just one of those stories that floated around. I was on their list, I received the script months ago. It didn't seem like my kind of thing.
"That script was a terrific version of that kind of thing, but not something I felt really passionate about."

Well at least he thought Christopher McQuarrie's script was pretty good. That makes me feel a lot better. The rest of the names left on the list don't do a hell of a lot for me, though. Antoine Fuqua(Brooklyn's Finest), Justin Lin(Better Luck Tomorrow), Jose Padilha(Elite Squad), Doug Liman(Go), Gavin O'Connor(Miracle), James Mangold(Walk the Line), and commercial director Gary Shore are all that's left.

A friend of a friend tells me that the choice is going to be Gavin O'Connor, which would be a solid choice. His latest film, Warrior, looks fantastic. It stars Joel Edgerton(Animal Kingdom) and Tom Hardy(The Dark Knight Rises) as brothers headed for an MMA showdown.

0 comments:

Post a Comment