Wednesday, January 18, 2012

New clip from 'Lay the Favorite', starring Bruce Willis and Rebecca Hall


All I could think of while watching Bruce Willis and Rebecca Hall(The Town) do untold damage to Albert Hammond's "The Air That I Breathe" in this first clip from Lay the Favorite, is that I can't recall the last time I saw Hall laugh on screen. She's always playing such reserved, buttoned up characters that she rarely gets the opportunity. So it was nice to see her open up and play someone who appears to have a genuine lust for life. Here's hoping the movie is any good.

Directed by Stephen Frears, who could use something to make us forget Tamara Drewe and Cheri,is set amidst the world of sports gambling. Hall is an ex-stripper who falls head over heels for a professional gambler(Willis) with a master plan that I'm sure goes horrible wrong somehow.  Catherine Zeta-Jones, Vince Vaughn, Frank Grillo, Joshua Jackson, and Laura Prepon make up the rest of the cast.

I'm hoping this is a return to form for Frears, as it's been way too long since he made something half as good as Dirty Pretty Things.  Lay the Favorite will premier at Sundance later this week, and hopefully I'll be able to catch it on Monday night. Fingers crossed...[EW]

0 comments:

Post a Comment